Are you new to Oracle? Have you been spending tiresome hours troubleshooting Oracle? Well. I would say ‘Yes’, If someone asked me.But I never think that the time has been wasted. Remember – ‘No pain, No gain’ 🙂
Here are things you need to check when using Oracle. Some of these tips may come in handy, If you are struggling with Oracle.
- Difference of DBA and SYSDBA ?
SYSDBA and DBA are often misunderstood. In short, SYSDBA is a system privilege whereas DBA is a role. The DBA role does not include the SYSDBA or SYSOPER system privileges. SYSDBA and SYSOPER are special administrative privileges that allow an administrator to perform basic database administration tasks, such as creating the database, instance startup and shutdown, drop a database, open and mount a database, place database in archive log mode or remove it from archive log mode.
Control of these privileges is totally outside of the database itself. The SYSDBA and SYSOPER privileges can also be thought of as types of connections that enable you to perform certain database operations for which privileges cannot be granted in any other fashion. For example, if you have the SYSDBA privilege, you can connect to the database by specifying CONNECT AS SYSDBA ( more info )
- Is your DB server DHCP enabled?
If your server is DHCP enabled, you will get a test failed condition in verification phase. To solve this add a Microsoft loop back adapter
- Go to Control panel->Add Hardware
- Select Network adapters
- Select Microsoft Loop back adapter
- Once Installed, configure properties for IPV4 with following static IP values 10.10.10.10/255.255.255.0
- Have you come across a situation where you are in front of the Db server and trying to connect to the database via sqlplus “/ as sydba”, and get the following error ‘ORA-01031: insufficient privileges‘
One reason might probably be that you have logged in to the DB server not as the administrator.(or probably not as product owner). If that is the case and if you are unable to log in as product owner, and if you still want to log in to database, there is a work around for you.
- Delete and recreate a new password file and give password file name and location, and password
In DOS prompt type
orapwd file = c:\ora_home\database\pwdfile.ora password=oracle
- Restart Oracle database
Go to Services and restart the service (OracleService)
- Now try to log in to DB via sqlplus “/ as sydba” with new password
About the Author
Tharinda Liyanage is an Associate QA lead in 99X Technologies. Tharinda has more than 7+ years of experience, also he has hands on experience on Performance testing. Other than breaking the code, he likes blogging. His personal blog
In software industry nowadays, it is a challenge for any company to continuously maintain and improve the quality and efficiency of software systems development. In many software projects, testing is not happening to a sufficient level due to time or cost constraints. This leads to lack of product quality, followed by customer dissatisfaction and this ultimately leads to increase in overall quality costs.
The main reasons for these added costs are primarily due to:
- Issues in the test strategy
- Effort of test case generation is not adequately estimated
- Development delays always cost testing time
- Subsequent test maintenance cycles
Test automation can improve many areas in a software product life cycle. In addition to the effectiveness of testing, even the accuracy will be higher when comparing with a manual tester. Therefore, by introducing automation the manual testers can focus more on business scenarios and let the automation suite to work on the functional tests.
The automation of tests are initially associated with increased effort most of the time, but the related benefits will pay off. This is called ‘Return on Investment’.
Homebrew is a package manager for OS X. It is designed for installing UNIX tools and other application on MAC OS. No need of drag and drop the .dmg files to the Applications folder.
Homebrew Cask extends the Homebrew capabilities, with this support, it supports to install larger binary files.
Homebrew requires to have Command line tools for XCode on Mac. This can be done by either installing full XCode application from Apple or install only the command line tools, which is the easiest way to do this.
All you need to do is open a terminal and type below command. Then press Enter.
Type the below command on a terminal & hit Enter.
$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)
Update: Apple released another update to the iOS 9 ( iOS 9.1 Public Beta 1 ) on 9th of September
Along with the other Mac operating systems, Apple decided to release another operating system update to iOS devices. Like the El Capitan, this is not officially released to the public. But can access the features through the Apple beta software program.
This is all what you need to know If you are going to update your iPhone to the iOS9
First thing first,
- You need to have Apple ID – If you don’t have Apple ID, You can easily create a one from here.
- Archive an iOS backup with iTunes – You are about to install a pre-release operating system. It is always advisory to backup the content. In case, If anything goes wrong, You will be able to restore the backup easily.
Righto, If you are done with above two steps, Proceed to below steps.
As mentioned in a previous post, Latest Mac OS is now released to the public. It’s still in the beta version, So we can expect more unexpected circumstances. I had the luxury to install the new operating system on a Macbook Air and the experience was pretty good ( which I will save for another post ), Today is the day to welcome El Capitan.
Things you need
- Apple computer – Of course where else would you install a Mac OS
- Data Backup Plan – As we are dealing with a beta operating system, we need to make sure the safety of data. Like always, Backup of your data will save you from trouble. You can use Apple Time Machine feature for this.
- Apple ID – This is needed to be enroll in the apple beta software program. If you don’t have an apple ID, You can create it from here
- Good Internet connection – El-Capitan OS contains 6GB of files, So a good internet connection will surely avoid slow-internet-connection-disappointments
That’s it, That’s all we need. Let’s see how to do this
El Capitan ( pronounced as el kap-i-tan ) is the latest Mac OS introduced by Apple. Official public release of El Capitan is coming on this fall, but Apple already released two developer versions and the first public beta release scheduled on next month. Apple has released the public beta version of El-Capitan OS along with IOS 9 release on 9th of July.
Apple has introduced couple of exciting features to this new OS along with bug fixes and performance improvements to the existing OSs. Below are some of very momentous features of El Capitan.
For the last couple of days I had the luxury to work with Mac devices, which was bit tedious at first. However just like in any other case, It gets quite interesting once you know more about Mac OSs. Here in this blog post, I would like to share few tips which could helpful for anyone who are about to start working on Mac OSs.
Note – I’m using Yosemite OS and Mavericks OS to perform all these tasks
Taking a screenshot
This is not Windows OS. So obviously, ALT + Print Screen combination won’t work, In fact there is no Print Screen button available in Mac keyboard. But Mac keyboard has a unique key, that is Command key – with a symbol of bowan knot, which can be use to take screenshots.
In order to take a screenshot,