Quick post about a problem which I’ve encountered recently when I tried to set up a test environment of Windows 7 machine, I wanted to have a test machine with the latest windows updates. Each time I tried to update the test machine, I couldn’t go beyond the below screen, which was very annoying, considering the time I tried to do this task.
Google suggested few alternative ways to overcome the issue ( like restarting the windows update service from command prompt ) but sadly none of them were working form me.
Finally when I tried to give up updating my test machine, noticed a solution posted on a thread which actually worked for me. Here’s what you actually need to do If you ever encounter such a problem.
- Goto start > type services.msc
- Scroll down to find Windows Update service
- make sure Windows Update service is stopped, else right click and stop it
- Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ and delete all files in it
- Come back to services.msc and start Windows Update service
Here’s the link to the original post
About the Author Chamal is a Software Quality Assurance engineer with over 3+ years of experience. When he is not working, he can be found either reading a book or browsing Zomato or Yamu. You can contact him on LinkedIn or twitter